Posted by : Ed Lott, Ph.D., M.B.A.
South Carolina and Hawaii have huge numbers of military personnel stationed within their borders. While the military has trained and stationed personnel there for decades, something newer has come along – lawsuits about water contaminated by the military.
The Marine base at Camp Lejeune is a significant training center, and thousands are stationed there. On the other side of the planet is Pearl Harbor, home of the Navy’s Pacific Fleet, where fuel leaking into a water supply may have made many sick. In South Carolina, the problem is caused by a chemical in drinking water, PCE, often used in dry cleaning, firefighting foam, and many other products.
The Camp Lejeune Justice Act (CLJA) of 2022 allows victims of polluted water to sue the federal government for damages suffered. Common illnesses found in victims include:
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Kidney cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Heart defects
- Parkinson’s disease
- Liver cancer
- Multiple myeloma
To be eligible to make a claim, your client must:
- Have lived not less than 30 days at the camp, but they need not be consecutive
- From August 10, 1953, to December 31, 1998
- Your client suffered harm due to exposure to the water
A fair settlement should cover
- Monetary expenses such as medical bills, medication, lost wages, cost of living aids, etc.
- Non-economic damages like pain, suffering, anguish, loss of companionship, loss of life’s enjoyment, scarring, disfigurement, and disability
- There are no caps on damages, other than punitive damages are unavailable
The plight of Camp Lejeune families has gone on for decades. In Hawaii, a similar legal battle is just starting.
Red Hill Storage Facility
Attorneys representing four military families made ill by Red Hill’s tap water filed the first federal lawsuit in the state’s federal district court in August. Not included are injured Navy members who cannot sue the service.
Petroleum from the World War II-era underground tanks leaked into the water supply of about 93,000 people living near Pearl Harbor, reports the Civil Beat. The Navy found human errors and systemic negligence allowed two massive leaks to happen within months of each other last year.
The legal action claims the federal government committed negligence in causing the leaks and failed to immediately warn the public. The injuries claimed by the plaintiffs include:
- Frequent and traumatizing medical treatmentsy: Ariana Wyatt
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Neurological injuries
- Neurobehavioral challenges, according to the lawsuit
Plaintiffs contend the injuries continue even though they’ve moved to the mainland and no longer drink the water. The federal government claims the water’s now safe.
The plaintiffs seek compensation for past and future issues, including:
- Physical suffering
- Mental anguish
- Lost income and property
- Fear of unknown, long-term health impacts, such as cancer, infertility, and miscarriage
The attorney representing the group claims to have about 600 clients, 160 of whom have already made claims with the Navy. They’re expected to file legal actions in the upcoming weeks and months. Several other attorneys also represent injured and affected parties.
What’s the Next Step to Get Signed Camp LeJeune Clients?
If your firm is looking for Camp Lejeune or other mass toxic tort cases, ZeroRisk Cases® goes beyond marketing. Our AI-based Behavioral Intent Targeting creates exclusive Camp LeJeune injury leads from YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and data mining using our proprietary software. This targeting puts effective advertising in front of those acting online like someone coping with an injury that may have been caused by contaminated water at Camp LeJeune.
There are many hurdles to finding potential Camp Lejeune clients. Do you have marketing expertise? Do you have enough cash for an effective campaign to attract qualified prospective clients? Will they just “kick the tires” when talking to you, or are they committed to taking legal action with you as their attorney?
ZeroRisk Cases® can reach Camp Lejeune clients ready and willing to retain your legal services. We help a limited number of law firms. Do you want to be one of them? Call us at 833-ZERORISK or fill out our online contact form for a quote.
Ed Lott, Ph.D., M.B.A.
ZeroRisk Cases, LLC
- Protect Camp Lejeune Victims Ensnared by Trial-lawyers’ Scams (VETS) Act
- Zantac Litigation Overview
- Veterans Seek To Lift Stay on Hearing Loss Lawsuits Over 3M Earplugs Distributed After 2008
- Next Bard Hernia Mesh Trial in Federal MDL Postponed Until May 2023
- Camp Lejeune
- Client Acquistion
- Client Financing
- Company Business
- Daily Dose of Law
- Digital Display Advertising
- Google Maps Ranking
- Human Trafficking
- Law Firm Info
- Lead Generation
- Litigation Funding
- Mass Tort News
- Mass Tort Signed Cases
- Personal Injury Leads
- Sex Abuse Cases